January 30, 2011

Back in Ukraine

Well, the trials are over. I am now sitting safely at my own computer in my apartment here in Krivoy Rog, Ukraine. God's presence couldn't have been more evident in the time I needed Him most. I can recall yesterday with great detail as I stood in line at the customs check at Kiev. All my mind was searching for was to hear that THUMP noise of the stamp slamming down on my passport. And there it was... THUMP! :)

All day yesterday while traveling, I had so much fear and anxiety of the potential risk of being rejected for entry into Ukraine. I got up at 5:00am in order to catch the bus. After a 20 minute drive, I got off and went down, into the metro station. I had to ride the subway train for a good half hour at least. It was weird being underground for so long. The whole time I was reading my Bible and praying for God's deliverance, since I had so much worry about the entrance into Ukraine. Usually I have anxiety and nervousness about flying, but this time those fears were replaced with the fear of not being allowed back into Ukraine to see the kids I love so dearly. No clammy hands on landing, no fear of the plane blowing up due to poor maintenance. All that was on my mind was getting that stamp of entrance into Ukraine. :) I prayed that God would show me that I can trust in Him, and to give him all my worries. I realized that I need to fully trust in Him and give Him the reins in my life, and all would turn out the way it's meant to. I did that in the past, and He led me to Ukraine to do His will. The experiences here have given me so many amazing memories, emotions and love of which I would never have even fathomed of, if it weren't for God being there every step of the way. So all day, through my two flights (Berlin - Warsaw, Warsaw - Kiev), I prayed, and prayed some more, and focused on shedding my fears and worries, and letting God do His work behind the scenes as I opened the doors He knocked on.

When our plane taxied to the terminal in Kiev, that's when I just gave it all over. I said to God, "I am yours; just show me which line to be in, and whatever happens, I know it's where you want me. If I get turned away and told to fly back home, then I know it's what you want." I started waiting in a particular line (I ALWAYS choose the slowest one!!), and before long, I noticed that there was a different line that was particularly shorter than all the others, with only one person waiting there, while 4 more were in my line. So, I picked up my duffel bag and spoke, "Thank-you God for your signs," and with a sudden surge of confidence and faith, I walked over and up to the desk where the woman customs guard sat. I submitted my passport and spoke "Zdrastvuytye" (Hello). She nodded and greeted me back. As she flipped through the pages of my new, clean passport, she looked up and asked, "Where will you be going to, here in Ukraine?" I told her Krivoy Rog. At this moment, time seemed to slow. I watched (perhaps with a gaping mouth :) as she reached for the stamp. THUMP! Then came the passport, through the window. With a smile, she said, "Welcome to Ukraine."

Now, I had a sick stomach, clammy hands, and my soul seemed to carry bags weighing a thousand pounds all day long. I was that full of worry. But let me tell you, that the moment the passport returned into my hands, I felt like I could fly! I suddenly felt more giddy and full of joy than I have been for a long time! I started to dance a bit as I made my way to the public area of the airport, but then thought better of it as taxi drivers started to hound me for rides! :) What freedom I felt!! I can't put it into words. All I know is that I kept praising the LORD of my life! I always wondered throughout my life why God made me such an emotional person. Well, let me tell you, my emotional side has proven to be an essential tool in this ministry here with the wonderful children from the orphanages. Every time I saw a child while I was in Germany, I saw those kids in Ukraine whom I love so dearly, and I would want to cry. But then these kids would look into my eyes and give me a nice, big smile from ear to ear. I saw God smiling at me through their smiles. (No lies! This happened with 4 or 5 different times from various children I met in Germany, and it was God comforting me - holding me over until I can be with the kids in Ukraine again!) God's allowing me to be here in Ukraine again tells me that I am exactly where I ought to be: using the gifts of emotion and compassion and love to further His Kingdom! AMEN.

The train ride to Krivoy Rog was better than expected, because some friends of mine were there too! They were 5 cars down from me, but I walked over to them and visited with them for most of the evening. In the morning I was greeted by our whole Ukraine team at the train station! What a nice surprise that was!



Anyways, so here I am alone at home. Time to do laundry! Then to see the kids later this afternoon! :):):)

1 comment:

  1. Curtis I am so happy for you. Glad you are home safe and happy, glad that the whole team took time to meet you at the train, glad you will see the kids soon. Blessings on you as you start back into the groove of life and ministry.

    ReplyDelete