January 27, 2011

Application submitted

Yesterday I didn't get a good chance to post, so I apologize for that. First off, let me say that the visa application has been submitted and I was told that it will be ready on Friday! That's tomorrow already! They wouldn't process it any faster, so I'll take what I can get! The only catch is that it costs twice as much here as it costs to get it done in Canada. At this point I'll pay anything to get back to Ukraine just to see the precious children again. The other day on the train I found myself in tears just thinking of the kids in the orphanages. If all goes well, I should be back in Ukraine on Saturday, and in Krivoy Rog early sunday morning, so it won't be long before I will see them again. It's incredible how much I miss them; I've only been gone 3 weeks! It'll soon all be over. I feel God's hand leading me every step of the way.

In the morning yesterday I went straight to the Canadian embassy as planned and got the passport with no hassles. The woman there was really nice and wished me well on my journey. I then went to a local coffee shop, and as I drank a nice latté machiatto, I filled out the rest of my visa application. Then I was off to the Ukrainian embassy! It was a way's across town, but found I it no problem because I drew myself a detailed map with instructions. Well, when I got there, I couldn't figure out which entrance to go in. I asked a Ukrainian who was walking by, and he showed me the door. Inside there was a security guard who told me to stand in line behind a woman who was already waiting in front of an empty window for some time. I could see the tired look in her face. We stood there for at least 20 minutes before an embassy worker came and sat in front of the window to start helping her. He spent at least 20 minutes helping her, and even after that woman left, he took another 15 minutes just to acknowledge my presence. At first I asked if he knew English. Well, he didn't. So I switched on my Russian (which I wanted to conceal), and submitted my documents. Everything went fine, and he told me to pick up the visa on Friday! Please pray that all goes well with that. Right now I am finishing up booking my saturday flight to Kiev. I should be in Ukraine by saturday, just after lunch. That'll give me ample time to get to the train station to get a ticket to Krivoy Rog! I am so pumped!!!

3 comments:

  1. Curtis is it no secret that I am a very impatient old man. I always have an agenda and the attitude of the people at the teller's windows in Ukraine ALWAYS drives me crazy. I used to let my wonderful patient roommate Dima deal with that as much as possible. It is like watching the old people get off a stranded bus, knowing they have not asked for their money back and probably have no more bus fare. It is a hang over from the old totalitarian attitude. I am with you though in loving the people and children of Ukraine and will be praying that you get your passport and get home to love and cuddle those kids.
    With love and prayers
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for you and really feel your frustration thru all of this. God is teaching you as you proceed, and the work there in Ukraine will be all the more special once you are back.
    Love and prayers
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. following your progress with prayers!! Jack

    ReplyDelete