January 23, 2011

On the Road in Germany: Part 1

As many of you know, I have been on the road in Europe for about two and a half weeks now. It feels longer, trust me! So far my travels have brought me to Chisinau, Moldova, then on to Berlin, Germany, and now I am in Bielefeld, Germany.

When I last posted, I told you of how I had just applied for my passport, and that it would take 2 weeks or so. So, since I had the time, I decided to travel down to Frankfurt to visit a second-cousin of mine named Margarita, whom I had never met. She was only available to visit in the evening of the day, so I planned to travel to Frankfurt early in the morning so that I would be able to see some sights during the daylight, and then meet up with her in the evening. Well, it was well worth it, because Frankfurt is a beautiful city, and I took lots of pictures, and simply wandered aimlessly around the downtown area.








That day was the best day yet weather-wise, and made for great photos! So that evening I met up with my second-cousin, and we had dinner, then I crashed at her boyfriend's place for the night. The next morning I went to the train station and boarded a train for a city called Bielefeld, about 5 hours on the slower regional trains away. Well, my schedule on the train required me to switch trains at 4 different staions along the way, and I was nervous about that. So, on the first leg of the trip, my train split in half at a certain station, sending me (unaware) to a location in the opposite direction of my first transfer. So, after my train stopped in a no-name town, I spoke to the engineer and inquired how to get back on track, and he wrote up a new schedule for me to follow. The catch was that I was stuck in the current town for 40 minutes. Instead of sitting around, twittling my thumbs, I decided to take a walk into the village. The following pictures were what I was able to get, and it was a very pleasant place to wander!




After my wandering time was up, I boarded the train back, in the direction I arrived from, and made all my connections smoothly until my final destination where I am residing now: with some family friends who are missionaries here at a local church.

This adventure continues on the next post! It's up already!! Check it out to see the progress of my trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment