February 27, 2011

Update on Nastya (from last post)

          For those of you who didn't get a chance to see my post on Facebook last night, I am posting an update on the girl from my last blog post who gave me her stuffed animal when I visited her in the sick ward at Boarding School #9.

          When I wrote last, two weeks ago, Nastya was still in the sick ward with a fever, and wasn't sure how many more days she would be quarantined there. We went there the following day and she was already back in her group, without a fever and doing well. Only one week before she came down with the fever, she had her cast removed from a broken arm she suffered while wrestling in her wrestling class at school. We visited her orphanage again on Friday, and I found her once again in the sick ward...this time with a broken knee! I went into the sick area to visit her, and found her in a slightly warmer room than last time, and that she has a full leg cast on. This time she shares her room with one other girl who never seems to be around who also has been recovering from leg problems. I asked Nastya what happened to her leg, and she told me that a girl fell on her leg while wrestling in her class. Nastya's group is very involved in wrestling, and even have a professional Ukrainian national trainer who volunteers his time to train these girls 3 times every day! They are involved in many local, and even some international tournaments.

Here Nastya (left) wins a match in a local tournament.


          I told Nastya that I didn't have much time to visit her, but that we would be at her orphanage again the following day, and that I would come to visit her. After I talked to her a bit longer, I packed up to go.
          As I started to leave, she asked, "So you'll be coming tomorrow to our orphanage, right?"
          "Yeah, we'll be here in the morning," I replied.
          "You'll come to visit me?"
          I smiled. "Of course. I'll make sure to especially visit you."
          She smiled back. "I'll be waiting for you."

          The next day we came to Nastya's orphanage, and did our program of crafts, games, and Bible stories with a few groups as time allowed. After that, I stole down to the sick ward with my bag and came to the open door to Nastya's room. I peered in to see her leaning on the hot water radiator with her crutches firmly tucked under her arms, gazing out the window before her.
          "Privet, Nastya," I said.
          She turned and with an instant smile and came to greet me.
          Ever since Nastya gave me her only stuffed animal, I have been weighed down with the longing to give something back...anything at all! I gave her a homemade Valentine's card on Valentine's Day that turned out terrible because I am not very good with crafts, but she loved it anyway. Then she gave me a wonderful card in return, and once again I felt like the equation wasn't balanced. Her precious, selfless deed of giving me her only belonging spoke to me in volumes so loud that I just had to do something more! So, after visiting her orphanage and seeing her broken leg the night before, I went to the store and bought her the fluffiest, most beautiful Teddy bear I could find. So I said to her,
          "Nastya, I know that it must be boring and lonely for you in here every day. I understand you won't be going to school for the three weeks that you have your cast on. Well, I have a surprise for you," I said as I turned my back to her so as to conceal what I was pulling out of my bag.
          "What? For me?" She inquired with intrigue.
          Before I could have answered, I turned and presented her with the Teddy bear. Her face lit up with such amazement.
          "It's for me??" She continued with excitement growing in her voice. "He's so beautiful! He's co great! He's perfect! Thank-you very much!" She immediately cuddled the bear into her arms and hugged him tight with a smile from ear to ear. There it was. The moment I needed to see this precious child experience.  

Nastya with her new Teddy

Here is Nastya with me, showing the camera her new Teddy as I show off the one she gave me.
          As I started to leave, I said to Nastya, "We'll be back to this orphanage next Wednesday. I'll make sure I come and visit you."
          "You know where to find me," she said. "I'll be in here for three weeks."
          "Then I'll make sure to bring you something to do so that you won't be bored. But for now, let Teddy keep you company."
          "Ok. I'll be waiting for you! Bye!" She said as she resumed sitting on the hot water radiator.

          My good friend Barry suggested I bring her some Crayons and some reading material. I think that'll be perfect. If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to comment on this post and help me out. Thanks for reading, and I'll make sure to keep you posted on her in the future!

3 comments:

  1. Curtis I will definitely be praying for Nastya. Maybe if she has one of the cell phones find out if she can receive calls from you or the girls to just encourage her. Plus some kind of books and beading craft or friendship bracelet making stuff. Keep up the good info coming to us.
    We will pray that her knee heals quickly and completely with no lasting injury.
    talk to you soon.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Curtis ! I would suggest taking her some of those bendaroos we brought over for you guys, they are hours worth of fun, I enjoy doing them myself !!

    ReplyDelete