February 11, 2011

Always a New Experience

Since being back in Ukraine, things have been amazing. It's as if all the fear I had of not returning has since turned into wonder and amazement of everything around me, all over again as if it's my very first time being here. I remember coming into the airport common area and being so EXCITED to speak in Russian to a lady at the desk, asking where I could top up my prepaid phone account. It was a joy and a blessing just to use my language knowledge again!

On the day of my arrival in Krivoy Rog, I didn't even let a moment slip by! Adam said I could take the day off to rest, but I just HAD to see the kids again!! So off I went to Solnechney Orphanage, the one only 15 minutes' walk from my apartment. It felt so good to even walk that road leading to my favorite place. When I got there, I noticed that lots of the kids noticed my absence, while others simply greeted me as if nothing had happened. The ones who did notice gave such big hugs and smiles! Some said they missed me so much! Oh, how nice it is to be missed. :)




I recall in particular stepping into the older girls' group and all of them were sitting around watching a movie. They had the lights dim, and when I said Hello from the doorway, they all looked and couldn't figure out who it was since it was too dim there. So then I stepped into the light, and immediately one girl in particular, Nastya Papova who is 12 years old, jumped up and bolted to me to give me a big hug. Others all welcomed me with enthusiasm and asked many questions about my adventure. All the boys greeted me as usual, and it was so nice to see them all again! The younger kids were all ecstatic to see me. (Am I bragging? :) I recall seeing little Dasha standing in the corridor, almost in tears because someone threw a snowball at her head when she was outside. I hardly recognized her all bundled up and with a toque on. I said to her, "My, it's been a long time since I have seen you! I missed you so much, Dasha!" Then she, without any emotion in her face replied, "I know. It's been a long time. I missed you too...very much."  I then knelt to her height and opened my arms for a hug. She walked over and gave me the biggest hug ever!! She didn't let go for some time. I thought if she didn't let go soon, then I'd have to carry her back to her group! :) I love big hugs like that! They're like medicine for the soul. :)

On to today's news. We were visiting the boarding school, and since most kids were busy, we ended up sitting around with the younger boys. They love to wrestle, so Adam and I gave them some good lessons like a father would with his own boys! But as we were leaving, we walked past the sick bay, and there I noticed a little girl named Nastya (9 years old?) in there, all by her lonesome. I walked over to her, and asked her why she was there. She told me that she was in there already for 2 days because of a fever, and that she would be there another day or two at least. No school, no visitors. She then asked if I wanted to see her room in the sick bay. I said sure, and she led me over to the doorway and opened the door to her room, located right off the main hallway. The room was devoid of anything at all to resemble any form of comfort. The walls and the floor were bleak and sterile, the 4 beds were old Soviet-style with chain-link support and thin blankets, and all Nastya had with her were a few schoolbooks and a stuffed bunny that she sleeps with. She told me how boring it is being that she is the only one in the room, and for so long. I felt such compassion for her, and thought of how I could help in any way to make her time there more enjoyable. I reached into my bag and gave her a craft that we had for the boys. It is full of stickers and sparkly powder to decorate a shape on a paper. It's hard to explain :). But I thought, at least it's something for her to pass the time. Her face lit up, and she was so thankful, from such a tiny thing! She then immediately ran from the hallway, and into her room and over to her bed, fetched her beloved stuffed bunny and handed it to me. "Here," she said with a smile,"You can keep him. He's so soft and cuddly! I love to use him as a pillow." I tell you, I was beside myself! What do you say to something like that?! The bunny was a medium-sized, good quality one too. I immediately tried to turn it down, because I knew it was something important to her. "I can't take this! It's your favorite stuffed animal!" I pleaded. She only smiled more, "I insist. Please keep him safe for me." I thanked her and gave her a big hug. When I went outside, I nearly broke into tears. I couldn't get it out of my mind how Nastya had just given one of her only possessions to me. May God bless her in abundance!!

The heart of a child is so pure, so innocent. It's something I re-experience almost daily. Oh, the innocence of children, and how every fiber of my being yearns to do everything in my power to preserve and cherish it in the name of Christ!!

2 comments:

  1. Curtis God is really using you in a special way. It is so awesome to hear your love for these kids. You are fulfilling what I always dreamt of doing full time. God had differing plans for me, but I can live thru these experiences thru you. we will for sure be coming out there to help in the future. God bless you and take care. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curtis, I agree with you Mom. God has put you in a special place to use your gifts and your heart of love. I can identify with all you say and I spent 40 years teaching and loving kids. Now I find that special affection in my grandchildren. God bless you as you continue to pour yourself out for these kids. I pray you are blessed and not discouraged by circumstance and other things.

    ReplyDelete